Friday, July 14, 2006

Cornwall Update

So it only took me four days to find internet access. I'm in Fowey, apparently home of Daphne du Maurier, surfing on free wireless at the Toll Bar. I will almost certainly be back here.

Fowey (pronounced Foye) is like the Hampstead of Cornwall, as far as I can tell. I was just sitting next to a family where the parents had clearly had their teeth whitened, and their kids were called Sebastian, Atticus and Mathilda. I kid you not.

What've I done?

  • A friend flew across the water to hang out, and we walked the coastal path, went shopping, went out for dinner, talked, caught up... very relaxing

  • I have taken my car on a ferry. This is a slightly disturbing experience, although I will also have to do it on the way home

  • Walked quite a long way up country lanes that appear to go nowhere

  • Just done nothing. Which has been remarkably nice

  • Got a lot of early nights

  • Written. Read. Re-read. Re-written.

  • Been to a lot of shops that sell surf clothes. I do not surf.

  • Let a lot of people pass me at the passing places.

  • Talked a lot slower. There is less immediacy here.

  • Unintentionally, got a slight sun-tan.

    I am delighted that my house-sitting-bloggers have said everything I would want to say: a careful concoction of geek, Jewish, what's going on in Israel (that I am getting in a totally fragmentary way here)... thank you all.

    I feel like... there's a lot more I'd like to say, but I'm out of practice, communicating on a moment-by-moment basis.

    More, later.
  • No comments: