Monday, November 20, 2006

There is a Metroline bus strike today.

I discovered this because at 6am I stood at my bus stop (my own, personal, bus stop, you should all have one) and a lot of people were walking past me, towards the tube. I was waiting for a bus to take me to Edgware Road, I would, of course, walk to the tube. And after a little while, a woman says to me, "you know there's a bus strike?"

So I walked to the tube, and had a complicated and annoying journey to Edgware Road (Circle and District line) and called the travel information people who tell me, basically, that they're "pull" rather than "push" technology - if you call them, they will verify that there's a bus strike. Great. But they don't actually publicise it any helpful or useful way. They told me to call London buses or Metroline to "talk about" that. Like yeah, I'm really going to do that. Life's too short, as we all know.

However, when I got back from pilates, 9ish, there were three people waiting at my bus stop. In the spirit of collective good, I told them there's a bus strike. And then I went upstairs, printed out the BBC page and stuck it to the bus shelter.

I am all about social action, me.

Apparently, it's all over 4am tomorrow, but it could be on again Monday, if they don't get their demands met.

No comments: