Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sauerkraut

Jewish farmers healing the world one cabbage at a time... I've really given a lot (more) thought this weekend to what I eat and why and I.

Like, for a while now, I've been pretty thoughtful. I no longer eat stuff with loads of E-numbers or transfats or anything where I don't know what it means. I'm averagely smart: I read labels. If there's something on the label I've never head of, chances are, it's not that great and I'm better off not eating it.

And I don't go out to eat as much. I'm not a hair-shirt wearing purist, because that would be no fun, but I don't want to go to restaurants all the time and not enjoy it. I want to enjoy all the food I eat thoughtfully, and actually, quite a lot of the time, I just want to eat simple, home-prepared food.

And here, I'm among my people. Everyone's like me, pretty much, at this conference. Like, I compost with my neighbours, and we collect rainwater for the garden, and grow apple and pear trees and herbs.

For the first time, I've met Jewish farmers. Not just farmers who happen to be Jewish, but people who farm in a Jewish context, and with Jewish values (like these guys at Stoney Lonesome Farm).

Right now, my head's full of ideas and things I'd like to do and ought to do and might do...

No comments: