Monday, June 10, 2002

One conversation that happened yesterday - during Take It Outside - was about how history will be different becuase future generations will have a vast number of websites/family photos/pitcures of your cat to look at.

I'm not sure anyone catergorically knows the life expectancy of a website, but I doubt if my blog will be here for my kids. Even if the Way Back Machine does its work, I doubt there'll be total records. Just think of the linkrot you get in a few weeks.

Nothing will compare to the boxes of photos I found in my Grandmother's house when she died ; almost exclusively couples in a range of mittel-European cities walking purposefully towards the camera whilst slightly overdressed - don't know what it was about the pre-1935 world, people seem to only have their photos taken striding down the street in their Saturday best - with the names lovingly inscribed with fading ink on the reverse. The intimate nature of such a personal archive won't ever be replaced by the web, and even if it is, it'll be broken by 2079. Or my webhost'll have gone bust. Or something.

Now it turns out that the Digital Preservation Coalition are doing something about it.

No comments: