Sunday, September 15, 2002

The Beauty Myth?
Men and boys: read no further. You don't even want to know.

I know in the scheme of life the universe and everything these things are not important, but I've had a beauty disaster. Although Yom Kippur is decidedly not about dressing up - I guess it's much more about being humble before the universe - I figured, there's no harm in looking my best. So I went out this morning to get my legs waxed, and get a manicure and a host of other girly things. Why not, right?

So two mishaps; well, one mishap, one disaster. Having finally got all my nails the same length - no mean feat when you have weak nails - she managed to break most of them and make the rest some kind of art deco shape that is definitely not no-nonsense-straight-across. I can live with that. However she has managed to overpluck my eyebrows to a state where they practically don't exist. They look like a cross between whatever the Chinese word for permanently surprised is and some kind of anime artwork. I have discussed this with Z on the phone, and we are both sure it's not as bad as I think (however, she hasn't seen them) but it's not good. And I'm banking on the people I know who I will see later being (a) too busy to read my weblog today, or (b) know that I am self-conscious about this and refrain from pointing and staring.

I know, I know, there are way more meaningful things in life: world peace, war in Iraq, starving millions. But give me a moment to feel my own personal pain.

No comments: