Sunday, September 15, 2002

What was that you said?
A few years ago, I was running a small conference team for a large publishing company. Events were usually planned about three months ahead, so June time, we were just putting the finishing touches to Medicine for Lawyers, a fascinating series of medico-legal talks, the brochure was going to print, we had one speaker left to secure. Deadline city. R, my colleague working on that event was jubilant when she had the whole thing sewn up, and it was just going on the presses when she got a voicemail from Professor X, saying he couldn't make it after all.

I got a garbled message from her that it was "Intonement, and his wife would kill him if he missed it" and we spent a merry few hours trying to work out what Intonement was. Judicious googling taught us nothing, and we figured it must be some kind of University pomp and circumstancery. I was as baffled as everyone else. When R finally got hold of him - we'd already got a replacement, as the printers were holding the job for us - we got the full story: he was coming down from Scotland and wouldn't get back in time for the Day of Atonement.

Right. Ever felt foolish?

Anyway, I'm here so no travelling required. I'm off to the holy postcode (N2) for spiritual soul food. Back late Monday. Don't do anything I wouldn't do (that leaves a lot of leeway).

No comments: