Tuesday, September 17, 2002

No Logo? Pro Logo?
If I lived in New York I'd definitely be going to this debate between Naomi Klein (No Logo queen) and Sameena Ahmad, Economist Business Correspondent, who penned a fierce editorial refutation to Klein's book, "Pro Logo: Why Brands Are Good for You", moderated by WNYC Radio's Brian Lehrer.

Angry aside: I know commercially companies need to make money from their websites (although I do this for 100% love, no money), but you have to pay a minimum of $2.95 just to read the one Economist article. Why is it that some papers (largely the Guardian, but also the Chicago Tribune and others) continue to offer all their content for free - although some require a minimal sign-up, which I have no problem with - whilst the Economist, New York TImes and the FT are going down the if-you-don't-pay-you-can't-read-it route?

Partly because the web, in its earliest days, was about borderless worlds and free acess to information, we have a sometimes naive expectation of total free content. And it's hard to shake that off. I don't have a problem with people earning a living, but I do have a problem with people taking the piss. Mircropayments? Online credits? Pay-per-view? Ad revenue downturn? Answers on a postcard.

No comments: