Wednesday, October 16, 2002

The Drift To Thrift
Talk about catching the zeitgeist. Is this the future of brands? Like, no brands at all?

A few years back, I worked with a way-cool American woman who was, surprisingly, exactly the same age as my Mum. She was very no-shit tough-New Yorker, and I learned a lot from her. She always looked smart. She walked everywhere. She knew where her towel was. Not that I am all those things.

She prided herself on thrift-store chic. Her favourite phrase was “anyone can go to Harvey Nicholls and pay $800 for a jacket. It’s the smart person who finds it in a charity shop for $50.”

I guess she’s right. Although I’ve never really got over the wearing-the-clothes-of-someone-who’s-potentially-dead sydrome. But I do buy lots of nineteen twenties things; somehow if they’re really old, then that’s fine. It’s just the recent old I feel some kind of disconnected with. Shit, I’m starting to talk like a therapy junkie myself.

This is that gal's magazine, and here's the stuff about the Cheap Date people – they may call it anti-style, but they do talk in that media-luvvie way: “it’s a simple story but it really works, doesn’t it?”

And one person’s trash is another person’s treasure. So say puma.

No comments: