Thursday, November 14, 2002

Local Eccentrics: no 316 in a series
So I'm talking to Jonny Seitler (name finally in print), who lives about two streets away from me, and he's telling me that he's trained "his kid" - or as he says it, "ma kid" - not to use the K word. That's K for Kilburn. Why? It's two horrible, violet words stuck together - KILL and BURN. But we live in a horrible, violent world, I say to him. And it's in zone two. What can you expect? Anyway, he's "trained" his daughter to say Honeysuckle, on the basis of it being two nice, cuddly words randomly stuck together.

I'm sure Kilburn must be named after some local historical fact. I know that Cheadle, the place of my birth, is named after St Chad, a little known ninth century northern saint, apparently. Chad's Hill. Cheadle. Geddit?

So, from now on: honeysuckle, folks. Do you ever find it's everyone else marching out of step?

No comments: