Monday, December 23, 2002

Today, I discovered I'm a neo-hasid. Hearing Arthur Green talk about Neo-Hasidism: A Jewish Theology for our Times, was pretty mind-blowing. Not least because I studied his book - Tormented Master - in college, x years ago; he posisted interesting, universal questions in an innovative, warm way. Said that the twentieth century Jewish theologica questions were essentially around providence and authority, and that the twenty-first century theological issue of choice will be about creation; trying to find a religious/spiritual re-reading of the darwinian account. I guess this ties in with the almost post-apocalyptic, post 9/11 stuff that goes on. I also found out, which I never knew, that he counts among his teachers Alexander Altmann, who used to live accross the road from my Mum when she was a kid.

No comments: