Monday, April 28, 2003

Just heard some bad, sad news.

When I was a headhunter a couple of years ago, I was something of a fish out of water. I made two good friends in that place; S, with whom I'm in regular touch, and Claire, who I would ocassionally email with and meet up for Lebanese food at the bottom of the Edgware Road.

I heard a few weeks ago that Claire had pneumonia and was in hospital. I sent her a get well soon card - pneumonia's not serious, right? This morning, I got a call from S to say that she died on Easter Monday. So - as I'm no longer really in touch with people who knew her, I want to remember her here.

Claire was a someone who helped keep me sane during a tough time in my career. She had a wonderful, down-to-earth sense of humour, and was amazing at her job. There was truly nothing she couldn't find out. She was dedicated to the company, and worked incredibly hard - she really was someone who took pride in a job well done. She shone competence. There are some people you meet who you know, straight away, you're on the same wavelength, and from the moment we met, we had an easy, relaxed working relationship, as well as a fair few evenings putting the world to rights over a bottle of wine. I know Claire had had a tough start in life, and she really made the most of everything she had. She was only 31, and leaves her husband and nine-month old baby.

I hope that she finds peace.

No comments: