Monday, May 05, 2003

Flatmate?
So my longstanding flatmate is moving out. I love the immediacy of the web: after suitable commiserations, I wenst straight upstairs and posted an ad on a flatshare website, and had a bunch of responses in 24 hours. The best was an American lawyer who sounds like she's mostly at work. Thursday we arranged for her to come over Saturday lunch time.

I sped into action, and cleaned the windows in my (current) flatmates room. Then, I realised one of the lightbulbs needed changing, but when I took down the glass cover, realised that the cowboys-deluxe who did my bathrooms two years ago, smashed the lightfittings by accident, and replaced the glass orbs, couldn't find the right size. So they replaced both with slightly too large glass covers and glued them back together, knowing that by the time I realised this, they'd be long gone. So Thursday night, 11.30pm, I'm on the Habitat website, picking out new pendant light fittings. Crack of dawn, call my electrician and plead with him to come over Friday afternoon. Find a new cleaner (my last one got another job the week before Easter and I haven't had time to find a new one) and get her to come Friday morning. Call Habitat at Finchley Road as soon as they're open, Fifth Avenue is in stock, so ask them to package them up, I'll be down in ten minutes. I managed to fit all this in before hopping on a train to Brighton at 12.

Turned down a rather nice lunch invitation, wait in for my prospective tenant: no show. No call, nothing. My friend F says that he expects a 50% no-show on that kinda thing.

So - knowing that Anna found her flatmate online: if you know someone who is vegetarian/kosher, active non-smoker, and is looking for an NW2/6 flatshare, mail me.

No comments: