Tuesday, June 24, 2003

So I'm on the phone to a client around 8.25 this morning, and when I hang up, there's voicemail from my Dad to tell me there's a piece on blogging on the Radio 4 Today programme.

It was essentially a two minute debate between Cory Doctorow (pronounced, strangely, doc-TOUR-owe, whereas I would probably say DOC-t'-roe, but either way, he's cool and a fab writer, and I just found out has been staying with my friend Yoz and is speaking at the Work Foundation in about an hour, bugger) and Debbie Georgovitch, editor of handbag.com, which is not a weblog, but hey.

Cory defines a blog as somewhere between a commonplace book and a public diary (though I prefer his "outboard brain" thing), but Debbie says "you have to be carefuly what you're reading, because it's not professionally edited, not self-policing". Cory says "it's liberating as a writer to be able to write the thing that interests you for public consumption... and making it easy to link replies". Once he got into pings and trackbacks, they all went "scared of the science!" which was a shame.

What there was little time to say, was that clearly an editor-style person is worried that her job will go out of fashion if too many people write editor-free. And we didn't really get into what I think is the more interesting conversation: the iterative, conversational nature of blogging, and the democratisation of content.

No comments: