Wednesday, July 16, 2003

Blogging MPs in North London?
So fired up was I by Monday's VoxPolitics event, that through some linkwhoring somewhere, I read a post where someone said we should all just contact our MP and see if they wanted help setting up a blog.

There appear to be two MPs in my consituency: Glenda Jackson and Frank Dobson. As Frank doesn't have an email address, I emailed Glenda, entitled "do you have a weblog?" thusly:
Glenda,

I wondered if you have ever considered having a weblog?

Tom Watson, Member for West Bromwich has one, at
http://www.tom-watson.co.uk/

I went to a very interesting debate at the Palace of Westminster
last night, and it struck me that it might be something that
would help your constituents be aware of the issues you're
dealing with.

I have a weblog, (details below), and I'd be very happy to help
you set one up, should you so choose.

Kind Regards,


Next day, I got email back:

Thank you for your email, the contents of which will be noted.

Unfortunately, I am unable to provide an personal response to your message.
This is due to the volume of emails I receive, and because of limited staff
resources.

If you live in the Hampstead and Highgate area, please write to me at the
House of Commons, London SW1A 0AA. Remember to include your full name and
address on any correspondence to ensure a response.

Alternatively, for a face to face chat, I hold four drop-in surgeries each
month. They are held in Highgate, Swiss Cottage, Gospel Oak and Kilburn. No
appointment is needed. Copy and paste the weblink below for full details of
surgery times:

http://www.camden.gov.uk/camdentemplates/search2000/websearch.cfm?mainpage=%
2Fyourcouncil%2Fmps%2Ehtm

Kind regards,

Glenda Jackson


Let's be honest here: if I got an auto response, how can the contents of my email have been noted.

So much for my active citizenry: turns out surgeries don't happen in August, so the next one is September. Immediate. Reactive. Instantaneity: that's politics for you.

No comments: