Friday, August 01, 2003

Gotta go to a hundred and fourteen meetings in about two seconds. But just head two women on the Today programme (one from the Welsh Assembly, one a psychologist, presumably from Wales) have the most ridiculous ding dong about whether the women in the Welsh Assembly (parliament) are fat/clinically obese, in the light of the WA's current debate on obseity.

I mean, who does this pyschologist/silly cow think she is? She clearly designed her remarks - peppered with "as a psychologist" or "from a pyschological perspective" - as a media feeding - fnah fnah - frenzy, and seems to have acheived her objectives. "I do seem to see a lot of larger women at the WA". Like, that's specific, lady. And when the parliamentarian suggested that women members might get eating disorders as a result of public debate about their body mage, I nearly choked over my all bran, cracked linseed and soy milk cereal. P-u-leese. Eating disorders are generally tied to self-esteem and control issues, which is why it's largely fourteen year olds who succumb, not people who've fought elections to get where they are in politics. Just generalising, of course.

And her ridiculous retort "I'd like to see people practice what they preach, like doctors to stop smoking" topped the soundbite-so-what scale for the week. I need to have a word with those people at the Today programme. I can help you: I'll be the person-on-the-clapham-omnibus you test out the silly season stories on. Nick's got my number.

No comments: