Tuesday, November 25, 2003

Sunday morning, I had people coming over for tea, so went out to Carmellis in Golders Green to get bagels. That's the north landan thang.

I parked precariously - one always does, although many people have the custom of double-parking, but that's not my minhag - just in front of a disabled space.

As I'm in the bakery, I hear the dulcet tones of what sounds like klezmer music being played through an ice-cream van. As I come out, I see the Lubavitch Mitzvah Tank coming towards me, music blaring. And it parks in the disabled space behind me. I'm just getting into my car to drive away, and I say to the be-bearded bloke just dismounting, "have you got a disabled sticker". He assures me they have, or they're just moving, or anything to make me go away.

I look in my rear view mirror as I drive off: they're still there. Parking in a disabled bay? Not a mitzvah, in my book.

No comments: