Wednesday, July 21, 2004

FICTION...

This is a character I'm thinking of writing about... what do you think?

So my sister broke up with her boyfriend – here’s the skinny (as she’s so fond of saying. She thinks living in Belsize Park is like living in the Upper West Side, except there’s no Zabar’s).

But first, here’s the deal with my sister. Lisa. She’s the oldest, got those weary first-born responsible blues. Also, those bossy got-here-first habits. But she’s my big sister. I love her. In a wouldn’t-really-rely on her way.

She’s everything I’m not. She’s straight (not as in gay, as in dull) to my edge-living, she’s a lawyer to my computer games developer, she lives in a posh flat to my not-so-posh, she’s uptown to my downtown, she’s… different. Maybe it’s being older. Maybe her crucial six year head start make me a little more Generation X/Y to her Generation-Must-Be-Grownup.

Also, she relies more on Mum and Dad. Whereas I’m at an entente cordiale place – respectful, but distant – she’s constantly seeking approval. Which is crazy when you consider she’s totally self-supporting, got a fairly flashy job as an employment lawyer with a big city firm. Oh, and she’s single. Which she talks about with all the fervour of a woman with a plan. She’s an online dating machine , fine-tuning her choices to such a degree that no-one meets her criteria.

One other piece of data about her. You know what they say – FILTH: failed in London, try Hong Kong? She ditched her husband in the Sin City, as part of a life-changing de-cluttering exercise in the early nineties. Although I suspect that they ended up out there as a sticking plaster to an already fractured relationship. Least they don’t have kids.

No comments: