Wednesday, July 21, 2004

In a week where all the news is about road pricing, congestion charging and the ever en-carparked nation we live in, I did something that I haven't done in a long time.

I "commuted" by car. I had a client meeting in West London at 9.30, and it's in a place that takes 90 minutes by public transport, and about 20 in the car, so I drove.

Driving around the North Circular (and just tangentially, I believe that "new" universities - AKA polys - would be a lot easier to recognise if they were named after major roads, so Middlesex Poly would be the University of the North Circular (A406)) I looked in all the other cars. And guess what. All bar two had just one person in them. So, anecdotally, about 95% of people driving to work at 9ish on a weekday are driving alone. What a waste of the earth's precious resources.

Now I know that cars are about convenience blah blah blah, and I don't know if I would want to share my journey with random strangers, but there must be better ways of doing this. I know the taxishare scheme at Paddington Station seems to work pretty well.

I'm worried that the world (my world) will turn into a Radio 4 play I heard a couple of months back, set in the near future, where people only drove on very special occassions, and had to get a licence and it was a big deal to drive from say Manchester to London.

I don't know what I'm say except I think we clearly get something wrong.

No comments: