Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Weird Yeshivish Subculture

(Cross posted from Jewschool)

I have just discovered this (weird to me) subculture on the recently launched Google Video.

Mobius linked it a short while back, but check out L'Cha by The Chevra (and here was I thinking we were all like one chevra) - it's like thirteen minutes long and it's freaky: these guys don't get out much, there aren't a lot (read: any) women, but they can formation dance, and they've got a thang for faux wet t-shirt competitions. And they've clearly got quite a lot of time on their hands - this one's filmed in three locations.

This one even has a "faux" woman in it.

They all sing like they're singing at their cousin's Barmitzvah.

Jewspotter that I am, so then I did what I always do in these situations: I searched for all the Jewish stuff; it's a veritable cornocopia of chassidische tishes, weddings, breakdancing, cool combinations of the two, visiting graves, turn-of-the-century New York.

Sheesh. Mindblowing.

I love this one: Grand Rebbe Shmuel Halberstam of Sanz-Klausenberg officiating over the Purim tish in his Boro Park shul. Look how they move.

And also, if you play the first one and the Rebbe at the same time (Firefox tabs are your friends), it's like a freaky DJ mix for the post-E generation.

Turns out yeshiva bochrim are not the only all-male groups who get up to the crazy song and dance thang.

Seems like there's a lot of frustrated creative energy out there. Do girls do this?

Thanks to Yoz and assorted J-Geeks for the original link.

No comments: