Wednesday, July 26, 2006

It's official, we live in the climate change era. It's in the papers, it must be true.

Here's what I've discovered so far about global warming/climate change:
  • Your washing dries a lot faster outside
  • It doesn't really matter if your lawn isn't green and luscious
  • There's still a lot of people out there who think it's a surprise, the unseasonably hot weather
  • It's going to be a lot colder in the winter

    And here's what I don't beleive in:
  • Buying electric fans (unless you have very small children)
  • Installing air conditioning
  • Saying "hot enough for you?" unironically to sweaty people you meet in the street

    And here's what I do believe in:
  • Opening the window
  • Drinking a lot of water (not carbonated, and not fizzy drinks)
  • Wearing loose, light clothes
  • Carrying a (paper) fan
  • Just getting used to it
  • Moaning as little as possible

    Some of these things are a hangover from my South East Asian experience. Some are common sense. I have a large, industrial type fan, from the 2003 heatwave, and I haven't got it out yet, this summer. I mean, if it gets really hot, I could, but I'd like to reserve it. It seems, somehow, counterintuitive to use more electricity (ie create more greenhouse gasses) to cool down when it's hot because we had a stonking great carbon footprint to start with. It's like a viscious circle. Do the damage, do more damage trying to fix the symptoms of the damage.

    Of course, I'm not commuting, so I may have a slightly rose-tinted perspective. But still.
  • No comments: