Tuesday, July 25, 2006

So, a few years ago, someone said to me, in passing, that the Ice Age had finished at Finchley Road Tube station.

And I was quite taken with this. It was before the seriously-google age. It was the age of early search. I probably put it into Altavista and found places to buy ice cubes in Finchley.

I've often wondered, and I was talking to a friend about this, yesterday, which way the Ice Age was travelling. Was it the whole of the south east, and then by Kilburn it was spring? Or the other way around?

So I was going to write this whole witty thing about urban myths and how one ever finds out anything. So I went to my trusty google toolbar, and guess what?

Analysis of earth removed when tunnelling towards the station revealed that its site was exactly on the edge of the glacier which covered Britain to the north throughout the last Ice Age. The wikipedian oracle has spoken.

So - kinda - mystery over. I mean, where they got the info, I don't really know, but hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true.

No comments: