Monday, November 06, 2006

So I bought a new new multi-fuction printer, because in these days of throwaway tech it was, sadly, the most expendient thing to do.

All good - arrived the next day as promised, cost kinda next to nothing considering my first laser printer cost £500 and didn't do anything else and totally devoured consumables.

But it took like two hours to install. They didn't tell me to unistall my old Brother software crap, so it took a while to work that out, and then ScanSoft PaperPort wouldn't unisntall at all, and kept just flaking out half way. I spent time on their 50p a minute helpline, where the blokey sent me an uninstall took, but then there was a Ms$ft error with that, and I called back at the princely sum of 50p, but he didn't know what to do. He said he'd give it to second line support and they'd get back to me in 48 hours.

48 hours? I said to him in a not-exactly calm tone. This is Frieze-time, we're talking about here. I've bought this printer because I have things to print. He couldn't help.

Luckily, a good friend with the best tech skillz I know knew what to do, and it all worked out fine once I'd got the magic right-click and download-to-desktop first, but I wasn't calm.

Am I ever calm?

Mostly. I mean, recently, possibly too calm.

So now my printer works, even if the consumables do probably cost the budget of a small south american country. But hey.

First customer service shenanigans of the week.

No comments: