Friday, November 15, 2002

Advice
Did an aerobics class this morning, which took my heart rate to a consistent 150 over an hour. God, I'm getting boring, sorry. Then, in a fit of pique/healthiness, decided I would try back on the old no wheat/dairy thing. Why? Because I felt enourmously healthy when I was doing it. So I went to Tesco, to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, and happened upon some rice bread which is wheat-, dairy-, yeast- and oil-free. Doesn't leave much, does it?

Anyway, I'm at the checkout, and looking down the line of checkout workers, realise that at that moment every single one of them is an Asian woman in her forties or fifties. Mine looks askance at my rice bread. "What's this?" she asks with a sneer. It's rice bread, I tell her. "Expensive, no? £2.29." Which, of course it true.

"Is just rice flour," she continues. "Big bag, 99p, many loaves. You know how to make bread?"

I'm kinda thinking that I've come to do some convenience shopping, and what she's suggesting is just, well, inconvenient. But I say yes, I do know how to make bread. But the truth is, I don't make regular bread, why should I make rice bread?

"Easy," she says, "same recipe, just use rice flour. Much cheaper."

I wonder if she's on some kind of un-commission?

No comments: