Thursday, December 12, 2002

Nail Nirvana - Hardly
This is probably going to be a little dull for some of you... it's more a personal note for me.

On the plane coming back from Miami in the summer I met a woman who told that if you have nail extensions (tips) you should only have Calgel, as that's best for your nails, especially if they're weak, which mine are. I did my own research when I got back, and she's right.

I had two weddings to go to, and thought what the hell. E told me that market rate in town is £40 a set, and £28 in the suburbs. I asked around at New York Nail Co and Boots Pure Beauty, and although they are £40, they don't use the better gel. So I went to Nails Inc in Bond Street station, who answered my open question (what gel do you use?) with Calgel.

It cost £60 - over the odds, but I was in a hurry, it was the best product and a reputable company.So on last Wednesday (27th) I took the plunge, and spent an hour a half having them done. I was pleased, although they did look slightly fake/kite shaped to me, but I was assured they would grow in. And that the method would not damage my nails. All fine. I went to a wedding two weekends ago, and then this Sunday, and some time at G & A's wedding I lost one. I wasn't very happy, as it was only ten days, but there's not very much you can do.

Monday morning, on my way back from Victoria, I stopped at Bond Street; they told me it "absolutely shouldn't happen" and they'd replace it, but they couldn't do it till 1pm. Although they called round other West End stores, no one could fit me in. She didn't have time to remove them, either (which you have to pay for - £20). I figured I'd sort it out some other time.

However, that afternoon, I got an interview with a FTSE 100 board director, and figured I couldn't go with nine nails, and as I can't remove them myself, I had to find a quick fix. I called Calgel, and got a list of their North London customers, one of which was Not Just Nails in Hampstead. I went down there, they replaced my nail, but in talking with Michelle, the owner, I discovered that the original set were not Calgel. When they took off my nail varnish, they were a complete mess, so I could no longer wear them "nude" and several were comming loose.

Not Just Nails were fab, and I highly recommend them. When I got home, I did a little more research, and although some Nails Inc stores say they use Calgel, they in fact use Nail Solutions gels, and ocassionally Biogel. I also discovered that my nails will be ruined, as they have glued the extensions directly on to them, rather than onto a layer of gel. Michelle reshaped my nails, and they looked much more natural, and also told me that if they were really Calgel nails, I would be able to file them (I had been told not to). I also discovered that different types of gel are removed diferently; so I have to get 9 nails buffed off in W1 and 1 soaked off in NW3.

Yesterday, I tried to get to Nails Inc head office, but kept being given the Bishopsgate store. Carly, the manager there, was very helpful, took my number and said either Thea (the MD) or Helen Harvey (operations manager) would call me back. I said I wanted a refund, a free removal, and something in terms of goodwill that wouldn't make me so unhappy and would make up for the damage to my nails. I also left voicemail for both of them on their direct line - they are apparently rarely in the office.

No one called me back, and today, I lost another one. I called Carly, who told me they're really busy, and Helen said she would call me back. She gave me Helen's mobile number, but she didn't pick up. Then she gave me the regional manager, Natalie Roberts, number, but she's on voicemail. The Bond Street store don't pick up the phone.

I'm in a bad mood. I've got nine fake nails, eight of which are damaging my nailbed, and I can't remove them without paying money to two separate people. My view: Nails Inc doesn't offer good service, and the whole nail extension business is designed to tie women into an addictive reliance on an Essex girl with an NVQ, who very probably doesn't know what the hell she's talking about, as they've ably proved here.

Serves me right for being so vain, I guess.

No comments: