Wednesday, July 23, 2003

We often get helicopters flying over the house, because it's zone two/urban and stuff happens, I guess.

So this morning, I'm in the shower, and the helicopters are really loud. Sounds almost like they're landing in front of the house. Can't help feeling that I'm in a really bad disaster movie, just before the crisis, where everyone's having a normal life, and then the avalanche/nuclear bomb/king kong comes.

Just went outside to go and take my dry cleaning, and there IS a helicopter parked on Kilburn High Road. Apparently - tragically - a worker fell off the top of the building opposite, where they're doing some roofing/renovation type work. So we've got an air ambulance, a regular ambulance, (nem svay) a fire engine and all manner of people in emergency kit that would have my four year old nephews rushing inside to get their fire engine hats to match. And we're cordoned off from two houses one way, to my house, with red stripey tape.

Can't be good, falling off a three storey building. There's an awful lot of hanging around: I never really know why people are drawn to drama. When I was a kid, we had a cleaner who would rush straight to Ringway whenever there was an accident at the airport.

No comments: